This is a traditional Kerala dish; bitter gourd can be cooked to a delicious dish when you follow this recipe. Karela when fried becomes crispy and serve with any accompaniment of your choice.
- 5-6 medium sized bitter gourd, de skinned and chopped,
- 3 medium sized onions,
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds,
- Coconut oil for cooking,
- 3-4 green chilies,
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder,
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder,
- 1 medium sized tomato chopped,
- 1 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste,
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder,
- 1 stream of curry leaves.
You may serve this with rice. Enjoy the awesome dish.
- Heat coconut oil in a frying pan. Add the chopped karela to it. Add turmeric powder and salt to it. Add ginger garlic paste to it.
- Add the veggies – onions and tomatoes to it and stir for some time.
- Roast the spices- cumin, cardamom and blend in a food processor. Add to the bitter gourd and stir nicely.
- Temper using mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chilies in a frying pan. Add this to the bitter gourd and saute nicely.