Olan I considered as an Onam recipe. It is generally tried during festivals. But you may try it before or after the festivals also. Easy to prepare and a tasty dish, you may try this with appam or rice. Ash gourd is considered as a healthy item.
- ½ ash gourd, de skinned and cleaned,
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds,
- 1 stream of curry leaves,
- 1 cup of coconut milk,
- ½ cup of cowpeas,
- Coconut oil for cooking,
- 3-4 green chilies slit.
Remove and then serve with appam or any accompaniment of your choice.
- Soak the cowpeas and then boil using a pressure cooker.
- Add coconut oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and curry leaf. Allow blistering.
- Add the ash gourd to it and cook efficiently.
- Add the cowpeas; add the coconut milk and stir till it becomes and even texture.
- Add the green chilies to it.