Kalan is the 'liked' recipe. This is prepared in households during sadya. When Onam is around the corner, Kalan is prepared. Awesome combination of vegetable with yogurt and coconut, this dish is truly sumptuous.
- Raw plantain ( 5 nos.) de skinned and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste
- 2-3 small sized onions
- 6-7 green chilies
- ½ cup of grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups of yogurt (battered)
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 5-6 red chilies
- 1 stream of curry leaves
- Coconut oil for cooking.
Your kalan is ready to be served with rice.
- Boil the veggies- raw plantain, ginger garlic, onions with turmeric powder and salt. Simmer for at least 15 minutes. Then blend the mixture with the help of a food processor.
- Prepare a mixture of the following ingredients-coconut, cumin and turmeric powder with the help of a food processor.
- Now you may add the mixture with the boiled vegetable. Stir for some time till it becomes an even content.
- Now batter the curd and add to the content and whisk till the froth appears.
- For tempering heat coconut oil and add mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chilies. Now add this to the content. Stir for some time.