Gongura means sorrel leaves and Pappu refers to dry cooking. This is sorrel leaves boiled and cooked with lentils. After being tempered with spice, it really tastes ‘wow’
- Improves digestive health
- Reduces blood pressure
- Prevents cancer
- Improves eyesight
- Boosts immune system
- 1 bunch of sorrel leaves
- 1 cup of tuvar dal soaked and boiled
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 stream of curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- ¾ cup of tamarind water
- 1 teaspoon of asafetida
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt.
Enjoy the dal with steaming rice.
- Boil the tuvar dal with turmeric powder, salt and sorrel leaves. You may add onions and garlic cloves to it. Remove and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add curry leaves, mustard seeds to it. Add a pinch of asafetida to it. Add to the dal and stir well.
- Now add the tamarind water to the dal and stir well.
- Temper cumin seeds in oil and then add to the dal.