This is a traditional dish and served during Sadya. The word ‘thoran’ applies to a dry curry. Beetroot is nutritious and this dish is a palatable one.
- 4 beetroot grated,
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds,
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder,
- 1 teaspoon salt,
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds,
- 5-6 shallots,
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder,
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder,
- ¾ cup of coconut grated,
- 12 curry leaves,
- 5-6 chopped green chilies,
- Coconut oil for frying.
Now this beetroot dish is ready to be served with rice/chapatti or parotta.
- Add coconut oil in a frying pan, add mustard seeds and curry leaves to it.
- Add the grated beetroot and then the turmeric powder and salt to it.
- Add garam masala and stir the content; care should be taken that it does not burn.
- Add water in minute quantities and allow the beetroot to be cooked.
- Prepare a blend with grated coconut, cumin and coriander seeds.
- Now add the coconut with the beetroot and then cook in low flame.